8 September 2011

Weaning Lambs


What a busy day we've had today. I'm absolutely exhausted and have hardly moved since my supper. But a really good day, getting some of my jobs for the month ticked off straight away – and so soon after making my list out.

We got all the ewes and lambs in and gave the ewes a special injection that they need each year. Then we split them up into two with lambs going to one end of the farm and ewes the other. I always feel a little bit sorry for them, but to be honest, the ewes don't grumble too much and almost seem pleased for the peace and quiet, and the lambs are just the lambs – really annoying all the time with their mischief and pranks. Anyway, if we leave it any later we won't be ready to send the tups out so I'm pleased to have it done.

One of Mandy's pets – Bleaty – is sulking though. She was born very small and lived in the house for a long while (Skye helped look after her – I was too busy to help) and she has got really tame. She's got really greedy as well. I must admit, I don't really like it when we keep one of the pets because they won't do as they're told. Anyway, these must be her first lambs and she just couldn't believe they'd gone with the others AND that she hadn't been given any special food to make up for it. She was having a right grumble to anyone that was listening (which wasn't me, I can tell you).

Here's a picture of Bleaty when she was a lamb, and Auntie Skye making sure she's OK

I'll get a good night's rest that's for sure

Take care

No comments:

Post a Comment