15 September 2011

Bales, bales and more bales

I've been helping get the bales home today – we've got lots to bring home and I sit in the tractor and keep an eye on things. I like watching out of the back window looking at the bales being towed along – today we had two trailers towed behind us because we need the field emptied quickly. Skye joined in for a while (she looks out ahead of us), but she prefers her bed to the tractor really and only came out to see if she might be missing something more exciting.

You just wouldn't believe how much straw the cows need. They use some everyday in the winter – we use it to make their sheds more comfy and they also get some mixed up with their feed. Fancy that – enjoying straw...not my cup of tea I can tell you. Just give me a nice tasty bowl of biscuits any day. Still, getting straw in is always a good job to get done.

Daisy came out to the fields a couple of times – she loves to run about in the stubble once the crops are cut and she wanted to see a combine working. Skye and I gave her a bit of exercise as well, so I reckon she'll sleep well tonight. Mind you she got a scare today – while we were in the field a huge great big fox ran out from in front of the combine. I don't think Daisy had ever seen a fox before because she jumped a mile, but Skye kept an eye on her and would have stopped the fox if it had run towards her (nothing dangerous gets near any of Skye's family) – but we've got to keep on our toes, Skye and I, to make sure the little dog doesn't get into bother.

Looks like tomorrow is going to be just as busy

Take care

No comments:

Post a Comment