24 October 2011

Selling cattle

It was a quiet day at home for Skye, Daisy and me. They went out to a cattle sale with a lorry load to sell. I just can't get excited about selling cattle – unless, I suppose, we could use the money to buy more sheep...now there's a thought.

Skye was worrying Daisy all day – telling her that unless the cattle sold well, that's the end of the meat in the evening biscuits. Daisy got into a right state but everyone seemed to come back happy enough which pleased her even more than usual (she always makes a huge fuss over Mandy whenever she's been out). Apparently they won some sort of prize for having the best heifer at the sale. I must say, I might have made a bit of a fuss later when some cows turned up – fancy buying more cows, as if we haven't enough already – should be selling them, not buying more, for goodness sake. I need more sheep, not big slobbery cows. Sheep, sheep, sheep...no one seems to listen to me – the only voice of reason in the madhouse.

Anyway, there was meat in tonight's biscuits so Daisy was happy. Skye was too once she realised that there are less cattle on the farm than there were this morning (just!) – not that she ever helps with them. As for me, I'm not grumbling just yet – after all we're another day nearer putting the tups out and I know there's lots of work to do before then.

Take care

No comments:

Post a Comment