11 March 2012

First calf

There was lots of excitement in the calving shed first thing this morning.  A lovely new calf born about 6am to one of the hand-reared heifers we bought in a while ago from the local dairy.  I must say, I don't get quite as excited about a new calf as I do about my lambs, but it is a nice little thing and his mum is VERY pleased with him, bless her...

I've got some pictures of the little rascal here, just before he got his tags




We're still watching one of the other heifers who will be next, but it's a relief to be started.  Skye is surprisingly happy the calving has started and is hoping to be drafted in as chief cow watcher for the duration (in preference to working the sheep, she'll consider anything).  Daisy has persuaded her she'd better volunteer for something to safeguard ther supper each evening (I know she'd still get fed even if she did nothing all day, but I'm saying nothing!).  I think she'd be a good cow watcher.

Take care

No comments:

Post a Comment